I am an Assistant Professor in the Department of Applied Mathematics at IIT.Since Fall 2011, I was an Assistant Professor in the Department of Statistics at Penn State. From Fall 2008 until spring 2011, I was a Research Assistant Professor (post-doc) at UIC. Over the years, I have spent part of my time as a visiting scholar elsewhere: I spent part of Fall 2011 at the University of Chicago, and part of Spring 2011 at the program on Algebraic Geometry with a view towards applications at the Mittag-Leffler Institute. And in 2008-2009, I was a Research Fellow at SAMSI, as a part of the Program on Algebraic Methods in Systems Biology and Statistics. I earned my PhD in 2008 from the University of Kentucky under the direction of Uwe Nagel.
Full CV available upon request.
I am a member of Institute of Mathematical Statistics (IMS), American Statistical Association (ASA) and the Chicago chapter, Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM) and the Activity Group on Algebraic Geometry (SI(AG)^2), International Statistics Institute (ISI), American Mathematical Society (AMS).
Outreach: I am an alumni mentor for the University of Kentucky Graduate Scholars in Mathematics Program.
Research interests: Statistics, algebraic Statistics, random graph models, computational algebraic statistics, combinatorial and algebraic methods in statistics and data science; computational commutative algebra, applied algebraic geometry, algebraic methods in optimization, phylogenetics (computational biology), combinatorial methods in algebra.
Selected local algebraic statistics activities
- Starting in Fall 2013, the Algebraic Statistics seminar takes place weekly at IIT.
- The 2015 AMS Fall Central Section Meeting includes a special session on algebraic statistics.
- In May 2014, IIT hosted the 2014 Algebraic Statistics conference, which continues the tradition of biennial algebraic statistics meetings in the US. The previous such meeting took place in June 2012, hosted by Penn State. The Algebraic Statistics in the Alleghenies conference was supported by the NSF, Packard Foundation, the Eberly College of Science, and the Mathematics and Statistics Departments at Penn State.
- Since winter 2011/2012, I am a co-Editor of the Journal of Algebraic Statistics.
- Read more about my intersts on the "Research summary" page.
Note to students
If you are interested in research in algebraic statistics, and/or relations to discrete applied math and combinatorics, please take part in the algebraic statistics seminar, and feel free to stop by for a chat after you have explored my research interests a bit.
The Spring 2013 page for the algebraic statisitcs reading seminar I organized at Penn State offers some reading material and introductory references.
And here is a cartoon containing excellent general grad school advice!
Not at IIT? Consider applying for our PhD program; we have a great dynamic program and are located in a great city.