- (2013-) Assistant Professor in the Department of Applied Mathematics at IIT
- (2011-2013)Assistant Professor in the Department of Statistics at Penn State.
- (2008-2011) Research Assistant Professor (post-doc) at UIC.
- Over the years, I have spent part of my time as a visiting scholar elsewhere:
- part of Fall 2011 at the University of Chicago,
- part of Spring 2011 at the program on Algebraic Geometry with a view towards applications at the Mittag-Leffler Institute.
- during 2008-2009, I was a Research Fellow at SAMSI, as a part of the Program on Algebraic Methods in Systems Biology and Statistics.
- 2008 PhD, Mathematics, University of Kentucky, under the direction of Uwe Nagel.
- International Statistics Institute (ISI Elected Member since 2015)
- Institute of Mathematical Statistics (IMS)
- American Statistical Association (ASA) and the Chicago chapter
- Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics (SIAM) and the Activity Group on Algebraic Geometry (SI(AG)^2)
- American Mathematical Society (AMS)
OutreachI am an alumni mentor for the University of Kentucky Graduate Scholars in Mathematics Program.
Research interestsMathematical statistics, algebraic statistics, random graph models, computational algebraic statistics, combinatorial and algebraic methods in statistics and data science; computational commutative algebra, applied algebraic geometry, algebraic methods in optimization, phylogenetics (computational biology), combinatorial methods in algebra.
Selected (local) algebraic statistics activities
- Starting in Fall 2013, the Algebraic Statistics seminar takes place weekly at IIT.
- The 2015 AMS Fall Central Section Meeting includes a special session on algebraic statistics.
- In May 2014, IIT hosted the 2014 Algebraic Statistics conference, which continues the tradition of biennial algebraic statistics meetings in the US. The previous such meeting took place in June 2012, hosted by Penn State. The Algebraic Statistics in the Alleghenies conference was supported by the NSF, Packard Foundation, the Eberly College of Science, and the Mathematics and Statistics Departments at Penn State.
- Since winter 2011/2012, I am a co-Editor of the Journal of Algebraic Statistics. As of 2015, the journal is hosted at IIT Libraries.
- Read more about my intersts on the "Research summary" page.
The field continues to be visibly active, with dedicated conferences every (other) year: as2012 at Penn State, as2014 at IIT, as2015 in Genova, Italy.
Note to students
If you are interested in research in algebraic statistics, and/or relations to discrete applied math and combinatorics, please take part in the algebraic statistics seminar, and feel free to stop by for a chat after you have explored my research interests a bit.
The Spring 2013 page for the algebraic statisitcs reading seminar I organized at Penn State offers some reading material and introductory references.
And here is a cartoon containing excellent general grad school advice!
Not at IIT? Consider applying for our PhD program; we have a great dynamic program and are located in a great city.
How to choose your grad school? That's a tough one to answer on a website. Here are some of my thoughts about the graduate school experience:
UK Math Alumni Spotlight page.