152 Maple Worksheets
Unfortunately, I did not receive the latest release of Maple (Maple 9)
until after our lab last Friday. Therefore, a few comments about
things I've noticed in the new version:
I hope there are no other wrinkles, or if so
I catch them before you do.
- There now exist 2 different worksheet interfaces.
One that is new with Maple 9 (and is the default for that software),
and the so-called classic interface (used by Maple 8). The new
interface uses more memory, and supposedly is better than the
classic (Maple 8) interface. Maple 9 saves the new worksheets as
.mw files. These files cannot be read by Maple 8. If you
need to maintain downward compatibility to Maple 8 (e.g., because you
have that version on your own computer) you need to save your Maple 9
worksheets as classic worksheets with extension .mws. I will be using
classic worksheets to ensure downward compatibility.
- In Ex.2 of the first worksheet I asked you
to use Maple to verify the definition of the natural log function.
This is, of course, a certain integral. In Maple 8 all one had
to do was enter the expression for the integral. Maple 9 seems to
be "smarter". One now needs to restrict the domain first, by typing
- I also posted another trivial little worksheet
below that shows you how to use the Calculus Tutor feature that's
new in Maple 9. This presents an easy-to-use interface to the hints
and step-by-step calculations I explained at the end of the Intro
worksheet (updated 08/28, original file seemed to have been
Tutors in Maple 9
- Assignment 1 (Friday, 08/29): Natural Logarithm and Exponential Functions
- Assignment 2 (Friday, 09/05): General Exponential Functions, Natural Growth
- Assignment 3 (Friday, 09/12): Integration with Maple
- Assignment 4 (Friday, 09/19): Applications of Integration
- Assignment 5 (Friday, 09/26): Modeling with Differential Equations
- Assignment 6 (Friday, 10/03): Slope Fields and Euler's Method (Misprint
in Ex.1d - which also affects Ex.2 - corrected 10/04)
- Assignment 7 (Friday, 10/10): Parametric Curves
- Assignment 8 (Friday, 10/24): Curves in Polar Coordinates
- Assignment 9 (Friday, 10/31):
Areas and Lengths in Polar Coordinates
- Assignment 10 (Friday, 11/07):
Sequences and Infinite Series
- Assignment 11 (Friday, 11/14): Infinite
- Assignment 12 (Friday, 11/21): Power
- Additional worksheet (for your edification only): Taylor Series
Note: No Lab on December 5 (instead hot dogs at Ghetto Dog. Meet at the northenmost
State street entrance of the MTCC at 3:15.).
Turn in Assignment 12 to Jesus Miranda's mailbox in (E1 208) no later
than 4:30 December 5.
Last updated: December 5, 2003
Greg Fasshauer (email@example.com)