[ugrads] Deadlines and Advice: Withdraw (W) this semester AND planning next semester

Michael Pelsmajer pelsmajer at iit.edu
Wed Mar 27 15:00:15 CDT 2019

Withdraw grade "W"

The deadline for withdrawing from classes this semester is *Monday, April 1*.
(Late withdraws are only allowed in certain specific situations, so you
really need to decide by April 1.)  If you are thinking about possibly
withdrawing from one of your classes, please don't hesitate to come discuss
it with me.  However, I can summarize my usual advice here:

- A "W" on your transcript doesn't matter.
- It's often better to take a "W" and give yourself time to concentrate on
*excelling* in fewer classes than to struggle and get poor grades in more
classes.
- Check with Financial Aid to make certain that withdrawing won't create a
financial problem for you.

Next semester's courses

The course schedule is now available online.  You will be able to start
registering for courses *sometime during the week of April 8*.  But you
need a PIN to register, which you must get from me (or another academic
advisor if you have two).  I will give you your PIN after we discuss your
plan for summer and fall.  If you mostly know what you're doing, you can
email me with those details; otherwise email me to set up a meeting where
we can discuss.

--
Michael J. Pelsmajer, Associate Professor
Associate Chair for Applied Mathematics