[ugrads] SIAM Welcome Meeting With Pizza

Yue Cao ycao33 at hawk.iit.edu
Fri Sep 14 10:37:13 CDT 2018

Dear all,

Hope your semester is starting off great! The SIAM student chapter would like to welcome all the members of the Math community here at IIT - undergraduate students, graduate students, and faculty - to a new year of activities.

SIAM is an international professional organization for people in applied mathematics and related fields, including science and engineering.  Our student chapter focuses on organizing events and activities to promote learning and involvement in applied mathematics. Its exact agenda is largely driven by the initiatives of the current officers and members.
In the past few years we have organized

Chat with Fields medalist Martin Hairer
Chicago Area SIAM Student Conference
A series of Career Talk, e.g. Statistics of Network Modeling
Idea Shop Tour
General Body Meeting with Pizza

This semester we have got some events in the schedule.  LaTex introduction, a series of research group presentations, mathematics competition. We expect you sharing ideas to hold more amazing activities.

You can register as a SIAM student chapter member through Hawklink at https://hawklink.iit.edu/organization/siam/
We typically announce events through email, and at the above webpage as well as our facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/IITSIAM/
All students are also eligible for a free student memebership with SIAM which can done through  http://www.siam.org/joinsiam/ . We strongly encourage all students to take advantage of this generous opportunity.

Current officers are:
• President: Yue Cao
• Treasurer:  Kan Zhang
Our advisors are Professor Hemanshu Kaul and Professor Shuwang Li.
Next Wednesday, 19 Sep, we will have a welcome meeting for you guys in RE106 at 12:45. It is a great chance to know new faculties and students. Lunch is offered. See you there!

Best Regards
Yue Cao, PHD candidate
IIT SIAM Student Chapter President
Department of Applied Mathematics
Illinois of Institute of Technology

Office: John T. Rettaliata Engineering Center, Room 232
Email: ycao33 at hawk.iit.edu