[ugrads] Discrete Seminar on Friday, 10/12, 12:45pm, RE106

Hemanshu Kaul kaul at iit.edu
Thu Oct 4 15:49:13 CDT 2018

Hello all,

We have another alum, *Jeff Mudrock*, visiting us next week. He will give a
talk on a coloring problem in Graph Theory in the Discrete Applied Math
Seminar at *12:45pm, on Friday, October 12th, in RE106*. Jeff successfully
completed his PhD earlier this year and was awarded the Menger Award for
outstanding graduate student by the department.

Jeff is a very good speaker and he intends to make the ideas in his *talk
accessible to all students with basic knowledge of Graph Theory*. So I
encourage all such students to attend the seminar.

An important and widely applied problem in graphs is the conflict-free
allocation of limited resources. For example we want to assign frequencies
(a limited resource) to radio stations (the entities; each with its own
list of potential frequencies) so that close-by stations get different
frequencies so that there is no interference (the conflict relationship).
Such fundamental resource allocation problems are studied as *``list
coloring problems on graphs''*. Jeff's talk will be on the list coloring
problem on graphs represented as Cartesian products, an efficient way of
representing large graphs using smaller ones.

*Title: *List Coloring a Cartesian Product with a Complete Bipartite Factor

*Presenter: *Jeffrey Mudrock, College of Lake County