[ugrads] Free Summer School on Machine Learning (!) June 18, 2018 - June 29, 2018 at TTIC

Robert Ellis rellis at math.iit.edu
Fri May 11 20:00:54 CDT 2018

Dear Students,

For those of you at the upper-undergraduate level or early graduate level
interested in machine learning, especially those wanting a solid
introduction, this is an amazing, *free*, opportunity at Toyota
Technological Institute on the campus of the University of Chicago.  I
personally have attended several lectures there, and get continual updates
on the impressive machine learning research and activities there.
Opportunities like this don't come around so often, so apply quick if you
want to know more about machine learning.

See http://ttic.uchicago.edu/~suriya/website-intromlss2018/index.html#home
(partially copied below).
Application Prerequisites

The participants are not expected to have prior exposure to machine
learning. However, the program will be most beneficial for participants
with some programming experience, and familiarity with basic concepts in
probability and statistics, calculus, and linear algebra. Some examples of
such concepts include:

   - Random variables (continuous or discrete), expectation, mean/variance.
   - Derivatives, partial derivatives, gradients.
   - Matrix and vector operations.
   - Programming: Familiarity with data structures and algorithms.

Registration

If you are interested in participating, please apply through the link below.
Participation costs for admitted applicants will be fully covered by the
NSF RTG grant and *no tuition* will be charged. Participants are however
expected to cover their own transportation and housing costs.

We will start considering applications on * May 7th, 2018,* and will
continue to admitting participants until we reach capacity.
Apply <https://goo.gl/forms/q1SZwYQw8fNMCCat2>

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 5:14 PM, Sou-Cheng Terrya Choi <schoi32 at iit.edu>
wrote:

> FYI, colleagues. Have a great weekend!
>
> Sou-Cheng
>

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> *From:* Lek-Heng Lim <lekheng at galton.uchicago.edu>
> *Date:* May 11, 2018 at 16:46:11 CDT
> *To:* Sou-Cheng Choi <schoi32 at iit.edu>
> *Subject:* *Summer School Information*

Robert B. Ellis, PhD
Associate Professor of Applied Mathematics
Associate Dean, College of Science
Illinois Institute of Technology
10 W 32nd St, RE 208
Chicago, IL 60637