[ugrads] Discrete Math Seminar on Wednesday, August 29th, at 12:45pm

Hemanshu Kaul kaul at iit.edu
Thu Aug 23 16:58:00 CDT 2018

Hello all,

The first talk of the* Discrete Applied Math seminar* for this semester is
scheduled for *Wednesday, August 29th, at 12:45pm.* IIT alum, *Lujia Wang
(IIT MS 2013),* will speak on a fundamental problem of counting the size of
a restricted family of sets, with connections to the classic Erdos-Ko-Rado
theorem.

Lujia wrote his MS thesis at IIT under the guidance of Prof. Pelsmajer and
just finished his PhD from UIC under Prof. Dhruv Mubayi. Lujia continues
the trend of recent alumni from IIT (both BS and MS) who have gone on to do
a PhD in discrete mathematics from universities like UIUC, UCLA, UIC, GMU,
RPI, and IIT.

*Students and Faculty who would like to be included in the discrete seminar
mailing list, please write back to me. *Most of the future announcements
will be only be sent to the mailing list.

*NOTE: *The speaker will define and discuss all advanced concepts beyond
what students see in an undergraduate combinatorics course. The proofs use
both probabilistic and combinatorial ideas. At IIT we study the problems of
this type in Math 554.

------
*Title: Set Systems without Multicolor Sunflowers *
*Speaker: Lujia Wang, UIC/ UCSD*

*Date & Location: Wednesday, August 29th, 12:45pm, in Room TBA*

*Abstract:* A sunflower is a collection of distinct sets such that the
intersection of any two of them is the same as the common intersection C of
all of them, and |C| is smaller than each of the sets. There has been a lot
of recent progress on determining the maximum size of a sunflower-free
family of subsets of [n]. We consider the problems of determining the
maximum sum and product of k families of subsets of [n] that contain no
sunflower of size k with one set from each family. We solve the sum problem
exactly and make partial progress towards the product problem. This is
joint work with Dhruv Mubayi.

------

I hope to see you on Wednesday,
Hemanshu

Hemanshu Kaul
Associate Professor of Applied Mathematics
Co-Director, Graduate Program on Decision Sciences (CDSOR)
Illinois Institute of Technology
http://www.math.iit.edu/~kaul/
http://iit.edu/cdsor