[ugrads] Discrete Seminar: Friday, 9/22, 12:45pm

Hemanshu Kaul kaul at iit.edu
Mon Sep 18 13:48:46 CDT 2017

Hello all,

After the three Discrete Math colloquia to start the semester, we have a
talk by our graduate student Jeff Mudrock on* Friday, 9/22, at 12:45pm*.
Jeff will talk about a variant of list coloring: the strong equitable
choosability of graphs. The problem and the talk should be accessible to
anybody with the basic knowledge of graph theory (such as seen in Math
100/380/454/553), Jeff will introduce all the advanced concepts. See below
for the abstract.

*Students who would like to be included in the discrete seminar mailing
list, please write back to me.*

I will send out another email later in the week with the room number.

Also mark your calendars for the next Discrete seminar talk by Dr. Ben
Reineger on Wednesday 9/25 at 12:45pm.

Hemanshu

------------------------
*Strong Equitable Choosability of Graphs*

*Jeffrey Mudrock IIT Discrete Math Seminar*

*Friday, September 22, 12:45pm, in Room TBA *

The study of equitable coloring began with a conjecture of Erdős in 1964,
and it was formally introduced by Meyer in 1973.  An equitable *k*-coloring
of a graph *G* is a proper *k*-coloring of *G* such that the sizes of the
color classes differ by at most one.  Equitable colorings are useful in
applications where we need to color a graph without using any particular
color excessively often.  List coloring was introduced independently by
Erdős and Vizing in the 1970s. It is a natural generalization of graph
coloring with a restricted list of colors for each vertex. Specifically, we
seek to color each vertex of a graph with a color from the corresponding
list such that adjacent vertices receive distinct colors.  In this talk, we
introduce a concept which is a combination of these two notions called
strong equitable choosability.  Strong equitable choosability also
generalizes equitable choosability which is a list analogue of equitable
coloring introduced by Kostochka, Pelsmajer, and West in 2003.  We will
discuss the motivation for studying strong equitable choosability and
present some of our initial results on strong equitable choosability.

This talk will be accessible to those with knowledge of basic graph
theory.  No knowledge of equitable coloring or list coloring will be
assumed.  This talk is based on joint work with Hemanshu Kaul, Michael
Pelsmajer, and Benjamin Reiniger.

Hemanshu Kaul
Associate Professor of Applied Mathematics
Co-Director, Graduate Program on Decision Sciences (CDSOR)
Illinois Institute of Technology
http://www.math.iit.edu/~kaul/
http://iit.edu/cdsor