[ugrads] Fwd: [NExT] Please Share: Budapest Semesters in Mathematics Education

Daniel Kosmas dkosmas at hawk.iit.edu
Thu Sep 14 09:51:42 CDT 2017

Hi all,

As Dr. Pelsmajer said, I attended Budapest Semesters in Mathematics (BSM)
last Fall, and I can attest to it being a phenomenal experience. A couple
notes for those interested:

1) Any BSM student can take any number of BSME courses as part of BSM

2) Any BSME student can take one BSM course as part of BSME, so you can
still make progress on your Applied Math degree in this program. Since BSM
is an older program with stronger foundation, they restrict the number of
BSM courses a BSME students can take, so people aren't applying to BSME
just to take BSM courses, since it's not a competitive.

3) There's a three week trial period for classes, so you can sit in on any
classes you may be interested. I think I went to seven different classes at
first, then narrowed it down to five by time for registration. Also,
registration is more flexible than it is at IIT since you can audit or drop
a course at any time after registration without it reflecting on your
transcript. I also did this, since 5 advanced classes proved to be too much
for me with other things I was doing, like preparing for the GRE, applying
to a fellowship, and just enjoying being in Europe.

If you're interested in either program, you can reach out to me at this
email (dkosmas at hawk.iit.edu) or my grad email (kosmad at rpi.edu), and I'd be
happy to talk to you about my experience with the program and answer any
questions you may have.

Best,
Dan