[ugrads] Welcome to SIAM community

Yue Cao ycao33 at hawk.iit.edu
Fri Sep 1 15:44:26 CDT 2017

Dear all,

Hope your semester is starting off great! The SIAM student chapter would
like to welcome all the members of the Math community here at IIT -
undergraduate students, graduate students, and faculty - to a new year of
activities.

SIAM <http://siam.org/> is an international professional organization for
people in applied mathematics and related fields, including science and
engineering.  Our student chapter focuses on organizing events and
activities to promote learning and involvement in applied mathematics. Its
exact agenda is largely driven by the initiatives of the current officers
and members.
In the past few years we have organized

Chat with Fields medalist Martin Hairer
Chicago Area SIAM Student Conference
A series of Career Talk, e.g. Statistics of Network Modeling
Idea Shop Tour
Informal Meeting with Pizza

This semester we have got some events in the schedule. BBQ, LaTex
introduction, a series of research group presentations, mathematics
competition. We expect you sharing ideas to hold more amazing activities.

You can register as a SIAM student chapter member through Hawklink at
https://hawklink.iit.edu/organization/siam/
We typically announce events through email, and at the above webpage as
well as our facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/IITSIAM/

All students are also eligible for a free student memebership with SIAM
which can done through  http://www.siam.org/joinsiam/ . We strongly
encourage all students to take advantage of this generous opportunity.

Current officers are:

   - *President:* Yue Cao
   - *Secretary:*  Kan Zhang
   - *Treasurer:*  Tanner Zielinski

Our advisors are Professor Hemanshu Kaul and Professor Shuwang Li.

We look forward to your participation in our events. Please don't hesitate
to get in touch with us if you have suggestions or questions.

--

Yue Cao, PHD candidate
IIT SIAM Student Chapter President

Office: John T. Rettaliata Engineering Center, Room 232
Email: ycao33 at hawk.iit.edu