[ugrads] Special Seminar - Good Choices for Great Careers, Tuesday Nov 28th, 11:15am, RE 119

Myrna Walker mwalke13 at iit.edu
Tue Nov 28 08:41:32 CST 2017

Please join us for an engaging discussion on how to make the choices that will
lead to a great career.  *Tuesday Nov 28th, 11:15am, RE 119*

*Time*: Tuesday Nov 28th, 11:15am, RE 119
*Location*: RE 119
*Speaker*: Mac Hyman, Evelyn and John G. Phillips Distinguished Professor
in Mathematics - Tulane University
Coffee and cookies afterward in RE 112

*Title*: Good Choices for Great Careers

The choices that scientists make early in their careers will impact them for
a lifetime. I will use the experiences of scientists who have had great careers
to identify universal distinguishing traits of good career choices that can
guild decisions in education, choice of profession, and job opportunities
to increase your chances of having a great career with long-term sustained
accomplishments.

I ran a student internship program at Los Alamos National Laboratory for over
20 years. Recently, I have been tracking the careers past students and
realized that the scientists with great careers
weren't necessarily the top students, and that some of the most
brilliant students
now had some of the most oh-hum careers.

I will describe how the choices made by the scientists with great careers were
based on following their passion, building their talents into a strength
supporting their profession, and how they identified a supportive engaging
work environment. I will describe some simple guidelines that can help
guide your choices, in school and in picking the right job that can lead to
a rewarding career and more meaningful life.

The topic is important because, so far as I can tell, life is not a trial run
- we have one shot to get it right. The choices you are making right now to
planning your career will impact your for a lifetime.