[ugrads] [Computational Math & Statistics Seminar] Tue, Nov 28 2017, RE 119

Kan Zhang kzhang23 at hawk.iit.edu
Mon Nov 27 16:41:08 CST 2017

Dear all,

Our next seminar will be held on Tuesday 11:25AM-12:40PM, Nov 28 2017 in RE
119.

*Mac Hyman* from Tulane University will give a talk on the following topic.

*Title:*
Good Choices for Great Careers

*Abstract: *
The choices that scientists make early in their careers will impact them
for a lifetime. I will use the experiences of scientists who have had
great careers to identify universal distinguishing traits of good career
choices that can guild decisions in education, choice of profession, and
job opportunities to increase your chances of having a great career
with long-term sustained accomplishments.

I ran a student internship program at Los Alamos National Laboratory for
over 20 years. Recently, I have been tracking the
careers past students and realized that the scientists with great careers
weren't necessarily the top students and that some of the most brilliant
students now had some of the most oh-hum careers.

I will describe how the choices made by the scientists with great
careers were based on following their passion, building their talents into
a strength supporting their profession, and how they identified a
supportive engaging work environment. I will describe some simple
guidelines that can help guide your choices, in school and in picking the
right job that can
lead to a rewarding career and more meaningful life.

The topic is important because, so far as I can tell, life is not a
trial run - we have one shot to get it right. The choices you are making
right now to planning your career will impact you for a lifetime.

Please join us for an engaging discussion on how to make the choices
that will lead to a great career.

Best regards,
Kan Zhang