[ugrads] OOPS not today at 12:50, Math contest "practice"

Michael Pelsmajer pelsmajer at iit.edu
Tue Nov 14 11:24:11 CST 2017

I must CANCEL today's meeting, because of a conflict.  On the other hand,
if you are interested in hearing about an advanced, but somewhat accessible
technique in graph theory, here's your chance:

--------
An introduction to the discharging method

Ben Reiniger, IIT
11/14, Tuesday, 12:45pm, RE 121

I will introduce the discharging method in the context of coloring planar
graphs.  This method most famously proved the Four Color Theorem, but it
continues to see use in the proofs of various other coloring theorems.  I
will introduce the method and why it works, give a few introductory
examples, mention the approach to the FCT, and perhaps end with a
discussion of how one might discover a discharging proof, using a paper
coauthored with Loeb, Mahoney, and Wise as an example.

------