[ugrads] Inclusiveness in Mathematics

Hemanshu Kaul kaul at iit.edu
Tue Mar 21 17:24:54 CDT 2017

Dear Students and Colleagues,

As many of you must be aware, March is Women's History month. (And today,
several students and faculty members took the first step towards starting a
chapter of AWM (Association for Women in Mathematics) here at IIT.)  The
participation of women and of under-represented minorities in mathematics
is something that is of great importance to many of us in the mathematics
community and we hope that we will continue make progress towards an
environment of inclusiveness in all of mathematics.

I wanted to share with you the speech that the outgoing President of MAA
(Mathematical Association of America), Francis Su, gave at the Joint
Mathematical meetings in January 2017. You can read his speech at
https://mathyawp.wordpress.com/2017/01/08/mathematics-for-human-flourishing/
His theme is the ideals of doing mathematics as a part of a complete and
fulfilling life. And mathematics can not live up to those ideals unless it
is inclusive to all regardless of their gender or cultural background. He
discusses these issues further in an interview at
https://www.quantamagazine.org/20170202-math-and-the-best-
life-francis-su-interview/

Interested in more discussion on the topic of inclusiveness in Mathematics?

Take a look at this blog hosted by AMS (American Mathematical Society) that
has frequent discussions on these issues
http://blogs.ams.org/inclusionexclusion/2017/02/06/
inclusionexclusion-principle/
(Students: take a look at the list of blogs listed on the right side column
of the webpage above, you will find many interesting blogs, including
something possibly of interest to you.)

What about role models?

If you want to learn more about "ordinary" women who were part of the
sciences many decades ago despite the tremendous social obstacles they
faced, take a look at entries in the blog "Grandma got STEM"
https://ggstem.wordpress.com/about/
The math entries are listed here:
https://ggstem.wordpress.com/category/mathematics/

February was the black History month and on that occasion four
mathematicians created a list of inspirational black mathematicians
http://www.mathematicallygiftedandblack.com/calendar.html

This website was inspired by an earlier one featuring inspirational
Hispanic mathematicians from the Hispanic Heritage Month in
September-October 2016.
http://lathisms.org/

Cheers!

Hemanshu

Hemanshu Kaul
Associate Professor of Applied Mathematics
Co-Director, Graduate Program on Decision Sciences (CDSOR)
Illinois Institute of Technology
http://www.math.iit.edu/~kaul/
http://iit.edu/cdsor