[ugrads] Undergraduate Summer Research Stipend

Michael Pelsmajer pelsmajer at iit.edu
Fri Mar 17 21:00:57 CDT 2017

>From College of Science:

The College of Science believes that engaging undergraduates in
research will enrich their experience at IIT and help prepare them for
careers. To support this belief, the College will provide several
$5,000 College of Science Undergraduate Summer Research Stipends so
that select college undergraduates can conduct research for 10 weeks
during the summer. This financial support to students will allow them
to participate in research work between school terms and catalyze
their scholarly activities and productivity.

Nominations are accepted from all IIT Faculty, preference given to
College of Science, Humanities, and Social Science students.

Only full-time students in good standing who are usually in their
sophomore or junior years with GPA 3.0 and above and who are not
recipients of any other similar scholarship, are eligible for
nomination.

The due date is Friday March 31, 2017.

To apply, you need a faculty nomination, but you will also need a one
page resume and a brief (1-2 paragraphs) personal statement and a
research plan (maximum 1-2 pages) from the nominee.

If you're interested, I suggest you start out by talking to professors
of classes you enjoyed and where you excelled.  They are the most
likely to agree to supervise you in a research project.  If you have a
specific project in mind, great, but also a professor may propose
something.  If you're at a loss, I can try to help - let me know.

Best wishes,

Michael J. Pelsmajer, Associate Professor
Associate Chair for Applied Mathematics
Director of Undergraduate Studies for Applied Math