[ugrads] Special Seminar - 2.23.2107 - Nussbaum w Abstract

Myrna Walker mwalke13 at iit.edu
Thu Feb 23 09:04:29 CST 2017

Dear All,

Please join the Department of Applied Mathematics for a

*Special Seminar* - “This Talk Assumes only Univariate Calculus”

When: Thursday, February 23, 2017, 10:10 am – 11:20 am

Where: RE 102

*Title: **Lessons Learned from the Federal Statistical System*

*Abstract: *How can we use statistics to become informed and engaged
citizens? In this talk, we'll discuss the very definition of the word
statistics and move on to an overview of the United States Federal
Statistical System. Special attention will be paid to three agencies: The
U.S. Census Bureau, the Bureau of Labor Statistics, and the National
Agricultural Statistical Service. Procedures for finding national, state,
and local data will be presented, and we will finish with a discussion of
how to best combine statistics, quantitative literacy, and civic engagement.

*Speaker:* *Amy Nussbaum*

*Science Policy Fellow – American Statistical Association*

*Southern Methodist University*

Refreshments will be provided.