[ugrads] (Updated) Applied Math Research Showcase: Stats, Algebra, & Randomization

William Schwartz wschwart at hawk.iit.edu
Tue Apr 4 13:46:45 CDT 2017

To SIAM and math department members:

This is just a reminder about the upcoming stats, algebra, and
randomization research talk this *Thursday in RE 124*. Free lunch! The full
announcement is below.

Please join us* Thursday, April 6,* for *free lunch* and a chance to see
> what's new in the Applied Mathematics department!
>
> This is the second in a series of special seminars that IIT's SIAM student
> chapter and Applied Mathematics department host jointly. Each seminar
> features faculty members briefly discussing their recent and ongoing
> research over lunch. These talks are casual and accessible to a general
> audience with a basic mathematical background. *If you are a new graduate
> student or an advanced undergraduate looking for research topics or
> advisors, or if you just want to know what your colleagues are working on,
> then this event is for you.*
>
> This second seminar will feature *research in Statistics, Algebra and
> Randomization*, with talks by Drs. Sonja Petrović, Despina Stasi, and
> Lulu Kang. The statistics research in our department is concerned with
> applied problems in several areas of statistics from the theoretical,
> methodological, and computational points of view. Research topics in
> statistics include design of experiments (used to help scientists gain
> higher-quality information from their lab work), statistical network
> modeling (study of networks as random structures), and uncertainty
> quantification. Research in algebra and randomization includes projects in
> developing and applying randomized algorithms for problems addressing
> computation with polynomials, as well as studies of random algebraic
> structures. There are numerous applications in engineering, social
> sciences, biology, and graph theory, to name a few. Background knowledge of
> the subjects will not be assumed.
>
> The talk will take place on *Thursday, April 6, 12:50-1:40* in *Rettaliata
> Eng RE 124*. Lunch will be provided. It is open to all, but Applied
> Mathematics students and faculty are strongly encouraged to attend. We hope
> to see you there!

Best wishes,
William Schwartz
SIAM student chapter vice president