[ugrads] SIAM Lunch and Introduction to Computational Algebra with Dr. Sonja Petrović

Adam Rumpf arumpf at hawk.iit.edu
Wed Nov 2 15:39:02 CDT 2016

Hello All,

Please join SIAM next week for a free lunch and an introduction to
computational algebra, presented by the Applied Mathematics department's
own Dr. Sonja Petrović.  Knowledge of computational algebra will not be
assumed, and interested students of all backgrounds are encouraged to
attend.

*Title:* Polynomials in Action

*Abstract:* Systems of polynomial equations are ubiquitous in the sciences,
including statistics, optimization, mathematical biology, coding theory,
robotics, etc. The interest in studying the structure of such systems stems
from the fact that it encodes important properties of the models in these
application areas. For example, we ask questions such as: how complex is
the system (i.e. the corresponding solution set?), are there even any
solutions (i.e. is the system feasible?), are there too many solutions
(e.g. infinitely many?), is there a better way to represent the system
(i.e. do we have too many redundant polynomials?). Oftentimes the problem
is even one step back, so to say: we are given an explicit description of
the applied problem, say a parametric model of evolution, and we are
interested in *finding* the corresponding polynomial system. This problem
is surprisingly difficult in many applications, yet its answer--when
obtainable--has already been shown very powerful in areas such as
phylogenetics, a branch of computational biology, and other areas that use
parametric statistical models.
This talk will give a glimpse into how such systems are constructed and
what some of the difficulties look like through an example.  No prior
knowledge of computational algebra is required; this is, in fact, an
invitation to computational algebra.

The talk will take place *Wednesday, November 9, 12:40-1:50pm*.  Location
details will be sent out next week.  Lunch will be provided by SIAM.  We
hope to see you there!

Sincerely,
Adam Rumpf, IIT SIAM Student Chapter President