[ugrads] KRYPTOS Cryptanalysis Competition

Hemanshu Kaul kaul at iit.edu
Wed Mar 23 19:15:58 CDT 2016

Dear Students,

If you like code-breaking and cryptanalysis, please consider participating
in the KRYPTOS competition to be held on April 7th-11th.

*κρυπτοσ* or kryptos, is a contest open to any and all undergraduate
> students. The theme of the contest is centered around the breaking, or
> cryptanalysis, of ciphers (secret writing). Each challenge presents
> contestants with a brief scenario together with some ciphertext (encoded
> message). The goal is to discover the original English plaintext message!

Each team of up to 3 students each (of any undergraduate major) will get
almost 4 days to work on the "puzzle" in their own time to solve it.  See
http://www.cwu.edu/math/kryptos
for further details and puzzles from previous years.

Please reply to this email with names of your team members so that I can
register you for the competition, If you know students outside applied math
who might be interested, then encourage them to join you as well.

best wishes,
Hemanshu

Hemanshu Kaul
Associate Professor of Applied Mathematics
Co-Director, Graduate Program on Decision Sciences (CDSOR)
Illinois Institute of Technology
http://www.math.iit.edu/~kaul/
http://iit.edu/cdsor