[ugrads] FW: 2016 REU Program In Mathematics at Boise State University

Gregory Fasshauer fasshauer at iit.edu
Sun Jan 31 20:09:49 CST 2016

Here’s a summer research opportunity.

Many others are listed here: http://www.ams.org/programs/students/emp-reu

Office: Engineering 1, Room 208A

Email: fasshauer at iit.edu

*From:* Liljana Babinkostova [mailto:liljanababinkostova at boisestate.edu]
*Sent:* Sunday, January 31, 2016 8:06 PM
*To:* Liljana Babinkostova <liljanababinkostova at boisestate.edu>
*Subject:* 2016 REU Program In Mathematics at Boise State University

​*B O I S E    S T A T E    U N I V E R S I T Y*

REU Program in Mathematics

                                                           May 29 - July
30, 2016

Greetings!

In Summer 2016 the* Department of Mathematics at Boise State University* will
host a nine week interdisciplinary undergraduate research program, *Complexity
Across Disciplines <http://math.boisestate.edu/reu/>* (CAD), motivated
by questions in search optimization, information security and life
sciences. *We hope you will assist us again by recommending a student for
this coming summer.* We welcome applications from current undergraduate
students who have strong interest in mathematics, science or
engineering. This intensive program will expose up to ten undergraduate
students to topics in combinatorics, algebra, game theory and their
applications. The program aims to immerse undergraduate students of diverse
backgrounds in all facets of research in mathematics in a culture of close
and daily collaboration with faculty.

*                                      APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 1, 2016*

*Students who are also members of groups underrepresented in STEM fields or
who are enrolled in a minority-, women's-, or non-doctoral institution are
particularly encouraged to apply.*

·  Receive a $4000 stipend, free on campus housing and an allowance for
meals.

·  Receive 3 upper division college credits from Boise State University.

·  Travel funds to/from the CAD REU site and funds to present research
results at the Joint Mathematics Meeting in 2017.

·  Attend guest lectures in mathematics.

·  Participate in an interdisciplinary seminar featuring research projects
from several REU sites at Boise State University.

·  Opportunity to present at ICUR 2016
<http://academics.boisestate.edu/icur/>, Idaho's statewide conference on
undergraduate research.

·  Attend scientific workshops and seminars.

·  Experience mentoring high school students, fellows of the Idaho Science
and Aerospace Scholars Program <http://www.sde.idaho.gov/site/science/isas/>
 (ISAS), a NASA based program in Idaho.

·  Enjoy multiple cultural, social activities in and around Boise.

·  Have an opportunity to interact with intellectual peers from a variety
of disciplines and be part of an academically rich environment

*REU Site: Complexity Across Disciplines (CAD)*

Department of Mathematics <http://math.boisestate.edu/>, Boise State
University <http://boisestate.edu/>

*Website*: http://math.boisestate.edu/reu

*Email:* reu at math.boisestate.edu