[ugrads] Modeling Contest Next Weekend

Hemanshu Kaul kaul at iit.edu
Sat Jan 23 12:31:21 CST 2016

Dear Students,

I am writing again to encourage you to consider participating in the
international Mathematical Modeling contest to be held from *7pm on
Thursday, 1/28 to 7pm on Monday, 2/1.*

This is a prestigious international contest and a great  way to apply the
breadth and depth of your mathematical and computational knowledge to an
open-ended real-life problem.

*Get together with your knowledgeable friends from our department or other
departments to form your own team and write to me (up to 3 members per
team). *

*I have extended the deadline for submitting your team to me till 11pm,
Monday, 1/25.*

If you have any questions, please write back, and also take a look at
http://www.comap.com/undergraduate/contests/ for more information.

Good luck,
Hemanshu

---------------------------
*As a reminder:*

*Who is eligible? *Any undergraduate student (with any major)
The competitors are in teams of three students each. Its beneficial to have
team members that know a wide variety of mathematical tools - Differential
Equations, Networks, Optimization, Probability, Statistics, etc., and are
proficient with usage of computational tools (like Matlab, Mathematica,
programming), and have good English skills to write the final project
report.

*You can see the previous problems at *
http://www.comap.com/undergraduate/contests/matrix/index.html

And look through the *example project report *given at the end of this SIAM
report
<http://m3challenge.siam.org/sites/default/files/uploads/siam-guidebook-final-press.pdf>
in Appendix B on page 50 of the pdf file for an example on how to format
and write the report submission. The pages 1-50 of this pdf file are also
useful as a detailed overview of how to approach the modeling process for
this contest.

I will be the *team advisor *and will register your team, etc. All the
problem solving and modeling will be done by each participating team
without any external help. You are allowed to use (with proper reference)
any previous research papers, textbooks, computational tools.

Hemanshu Kaul
Associate Professor of Applied Mathematics
Co-Director, Graduate Program on Decision Sciences (CDSOR)
Illinois Institute of Technology
http://www.math.iit.edu/~kaul/
http://iit.edu/cdsor