[ugrads] Welcome back

Fred Hickernell hickernell at iit.edu
Fri Aug 26 13:47:25 CDT 2016

Dear students and faculty,

Welcome (back) to the new school year.  Hope that your first week of classes began well.

Our department is a community of curious scholars.  Whether you are taking level 1 classes, pushing back research frontiers, or in between, I hope that you will be always striving to understand well and to help those around you in their quest for knowledge.  May you press against the limits of what you know to better grasp the important ideas in your field of interest.

This summer we said goodbye to Prof. Greg Fasshauer, who moved to Colorado School of Mines to take the headship of the Department of Applied Mathematics and Statistics.  Prof. Michael Pelsmajer is our new Associate Chair and Director of Undergraduate Studies.  All undergraduate students needing applied mathematics advising should see Prof. Pelsmajer.  (For permissions to enroll in courses, continue to contact Dr. Fred Weening.)  Prof. Xiaofan Li is the new Vice-Dean of the College of Science.  Prof. Igor Cialenco is our new Director of Graduate Studies.  Thanks Michael and Igor for stepping into these important responsibilities.

RE Bldg Rm 208, 10 West 32nd Street, Chicago, IL 60616