[ugrads] Congratulations for MCM 2016

Hemanshu Kaul kaul at iit.edu
Tue Apr 12 17:40:36 CDT 2016

Please join me in congratulating
*Tianci Zhu, Meng Wang, and Xintong Li*
for an honor even greater than the one I mentioned yesterday.
Their team has been awarded as "Meritorious Winners" in the 2016 MCM
(Mathematical Modeling Contest):
http://www.comap.com/undergraduate/contests/

MCM is the topmost mathematical modeling contest in the world with 7421
teams from universities around the world participating this year. *Tianci,
Meng and Xintong placed among the top 9% of all teams. Strictly speaking
only 35 teams total (0.5%) were ranked above them** - an exceptional
performance.*

*Students:* I hope this motivates you to participate in this competition
next year - especially students who have taken Math 486 or Math 380. Any
undergraduate student (with any major) in teams of up to 3 members can
participate in this contest. This contest, and in general any form of
mathematical modeling, tests your creativity in applying ideas from many
parts of mathematics and computational science to an open-ended real-world
problem. If this sounds interesting to you, then get in touch with me and
we can discuss how you can get involved in Mathematical modeling contests
and so much more.

Hemanshu

Hemanshu Kaul
Associate Professor of Applied Mathematics
Co-Director, Graduate Program on Decision Sciences (CDSOR)
Illinois Institute of Technology
http://www.math.iit.edu/~kaul/
http://iit.edu/cdsor