[ugrads] Changes to B.S. in Applied Math degree program

Gregory Fasshauer fasshauer at iit.edu
Wed Jul 15 14:26:34 CDT 2015

Dear All,

               This email contains some *important information about your
degree program*. Please read it carefully!

Over the past weeks and maybe even months I’ve been mentioning several
changes that were on the horizon to some of you. We have now finalized most
of these changes and I’d like to use this email and the newly revised
Undergraduate Handbook (available on this page:
http://science.iit.edu/applied-mathematics/programs/course-descriptions) to
make you aware of these changes.

The changes go into effect with the beginning of the Fall 2015 semester and
apply to all students starting then (or later).

If you’ve been in the program for a while, then the official rules that
apply to you are those printed in “your” Undergraduate Bulletin, i.e., the
one that was in effect when you started at IIT (see DegreeWorks or the
Undergraduate Handbook for more details). However, if you prefer the new
rules, then you may petition to have your transcript evaluated according to
these new rules.

The most important changes are:

·        Required MATH courses for the degree:

o   The MATH 402 requirement is being replaced by a new course MATH 380
(Introduction to Mathematical Modeling). MATH 380 will be offered for the
first time in Spring 2016. MATH 402 is still available for those who need
it.

o   The discrete math requirement is modified from “MATH 430 or MATH 454”
to “MATH 410 or MATH 430 or MATH 431 or MATH 454”.

·        Some of the optional specializations are slightly modified (see
details in the handbook).

·        There are now four co-terminal combinations available with the
B.S. applied math degree:

o   M.S. in applied math

o   Master of data science

o   M.S. in computer science

o   Master of computer science

·        Updated four-year tentative scheduling template (available in the
Undergraduate Handbook and at
http://science.iit.edu/applied-mathematics/programs/course-descriptions/four-year-course-plan)

·        Changes to the social science IIT core requirements

o   You now need two upper-level social science courses (instead of only
one).

o   The rest of the rules are as before, i.e., you need a total of 9 credit
in the social sciences, need to cover two fields, and need to have one
field with at least two courses.

o   Rules for humanities courses are not affected by these changes.

Don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any questions.

               Enjoy the rest of the summer,

Office: Engineering 1, Room 208A

Email: fasshauer at iit.edu