[ugrads] SIAM IIT Student Chapter Introduction

Lluís Antoni Jiménez Rugama lluisantoni at gmail.com
Tue May 13 13:33:24 CDT 2014

Dear all,

   I would like to introduce the new SIAM officers for the SIAM IIT student
chapter:
- President: Lluis Antoni Jimenez Rugama
- Vice president: Hannah Albert
- Secretary: Manpreet Singh
- Treasurer: Shibi Feng
   Since I imagine many of you do not know exactly what is the Society for
Industrial and Applied Mathematics, let me briefly tell you what we will
organize in a regular basis throughout the year: talks from speakers coming
from the industry/university (good food is always provided!), workshops and
visits to other IIT laboratories, visits to companies of any kind (finance,
science, etc.), weekly math problem and annual math competition for
undergraduate students, barbeques, etc.
   We are looking to help students finding the link between mathematics and
industry. There are a lot of opportunities so please, do not hesitate on
contacting me whenever you need. And if you have ideas on
visits/departments you would like to discover, we would like to hear from
you.
   All events we organize are for free. In order to receive emails
regarding the events that we will be organizing, you need to join the SIAM
IIT student chapter by:
- Going to https://iit.collegiatelink.net/ and using your IIT information
to log in.
- Clicking on "Organizations" tab and searching for "SIAM", where you can
join the chapter.
   For members, there might be funding for traveling expenses if you are
planning to attend SIAM conferences in other states.
   Finally, graduate students have also the possibility of getting the
annual free membership of the SIAM society here:
http://www.siam.org/membership/individual/free.php.
   I hope some of you will know how to take advantage of this opportunity.
   I also wish you a good Summer!
   Best regards,

Lluís Antoni Jiménez Rugama
E1 Bldg Room 120, 10 West 32nd Street, Chicago, IL 60616
lluisantoni at gmail.com --- ljimene1 at hawk.iit.edu
Cell: +1-773-892-3628 --- Office: +1-312-567-8964