[ugrads] [Mathclub-members] ISMAA conference is fast approaching!

John Erickson john.erickson at iit.edu
Thu Mar 6 17:00:14 CST 2014

Hi Math Club Members,

You have probably heard about this but the the Illinois Section of the
Mathematical Association of America will hold its annual meeting March 28-29 at
Southern Illinois University in Edwardsville. Full meeting information is
available at http://sections.maa.org/illinois/2014AnnualMeeting.htm.

It's a conference that is more geared towards undergraduates than most,
including a pizza party, a math contest, and more accessible talks. If you
are interested in going please let me know as we are trying to get a head
count.

You need to register for it, but for students it's free.  The early
registration link is (http://ismaa.knox.edu/registration-2014/)  and is
open until March 14.

Edwardsville is sufficiently far away that in order to enjoy the whole
conference you will have spend one night (the 28th) in a hotel. The link
for hotel information is

http://sections.maa.org/illinois/Hotels2014.htm

Obviously, transportation is an issue as well and the link for that is

http://sections.maa.org/illinois/Transportation2014.htm

They provide driving instructions and suggestions on Amtrak use by
Chicagoans. If you are arriving by Amtrak (as I am) you need to inform them
a week before the conference so that they can pick you up from the station
in Alton, IL which arrives at 11:22 am. A one way ticket is $26, with round
trip $52.

Once again, if you are interested in attending please keep in mind the
various deadlines and please let me know so that we have a sense of the
size of the IIT contingent. Finally, at this time no promises can be made,
but there might be some limited financial support.

Professor Erickson

--

John Erickson, Ph.D.

Senior Lecturer