[ugrads] MATH 486 this spring

Hemanshu Kaul kaul at iit.edu
Mon Nov 4 23:22:38 CST 2013

Dear students,

I am traveling overseas this semeter so I might not repsond to your email
immediately. Please be patient.

As as a summary, here are the rerequisites for Math 486:
Math 251, Math 252, and Math 332 are required.
Plus  knowledge of basic Probability is needed (what proabaility and
expectation mean, and how to calculate them).
Knowledge of a computing environment like Mathematica/ Matlab, or any
computer language like C or any such, is a must - as there will be  a major
group project for buillding and implementing a model for an application.
The implementation can be done using any environment/ language.

I will be glad to discuss individual cases also, if you have any questions.

Some of you have also asked for a comparison of this course with the other
course I am teaching in Spring - Math 435:
The Linear optimizaation course focusses on a deep understanding of how
algorithms in linear optimization work through a beautiful interplay of
geometry and linear algebra.
The purpose is to describe and understand varipus methods used in
formulations of Linear Optimization which is one of the fundamental
problems underlying most of discrete and network optimzation. The
Mathematical Modeling course will focus on introducing ideas from different
parts of mathematics - ODEs, Discrete Optimization, Analysis, etc. to
describe how to build models for various applications. The focus will be
more on model building and refinement, and not so much on details of
mathematical methods/algorithms.

Hemanshu

Hemanshu Kaul
Associate Professor of Applied Mathematics
Illinois Institute of Technology
http://www.math.iit.edu/~kaul/