[ugrads] Menger Day and IIT Poster Competitions

Hemanshu Kaul kaul at iit.edu
Wed Feb 20 16:01:17 CST 2013

Dear Students,

As in the past years, an exhibition of posters by students will be an
integral part of this year's *Menger Day *activities on *Monday, April 22nd*.
See <http://www.iit.edu/csl/am/about/menger/>. This exhibition and
competition has been a success with many positive comments from the alumni,
former faculty, and other visitors to the previous Menger Day celebrations.

All students, both undergraduate and graduate, are strongly encouraged to
participate in this exhibition and competition. To have the nominations for
the IIT poster competition by their deadline, the posters will be judged
from *12:40pm-1:50pm on Monday, April 15th*. They will also be exhibited at
the Menger Day events on the 22nd. The top two posters each among the
undergraduate and the graduate student participants will be awarded prizes
and they will represent the department at the *IIT research day  poster
competition* on *Wednesday, April 24th*.

You are eligible to participate if you have conducted ANY research over the
past year. This research could be a part of a REU you attended, any
research you did with professors here at IIT, from your M.S. thesis, Ph.D.
thesis, and even something you did as class project for a particular course
including Math 100 projects. Past winners of the poster competition will be
considered for prizes only if the poster content is substantially different
from the previously prize winning poster. However, they can and should
participate in the poster exhibition with at least the old poster.

You would prepare a 3ft by 4ft poster that describes this work and its
background. You would also have to verbally explain the context and
details of this research. Don't worry if you have not done this before or
you are not sure how do to do it, you can ask me (or any other faculty
member) for help and advice during the preparation for this competition.
Many students have participated in the competition last five years, so they
would also be a good source of information. I will send out emails with
more information, including poster templates, printing instructions, etc.,
to the participating students.

The department will pay for the cost of materials and printing. The
printing can be done at MTCC post office (it has been a very efficient and
smooth process there).

Here are the *important dates*:

*MARCH 29th *: Deadline for confirmation of participation.
*APRIL 10th *: Deadline for finishing the poster file.
*APRIL 10th to 12th *: Printing of the posters.
*APRIL 12th, 1pm *: Deadline for depositing the printed poster and mounting
it at the department office.
*APRIL 15th, 12:40pm *: *All participants* present their posters at the
poster competition in the department.
*APRIL 22th, afternoon*: *All participants* present their posters during
Menger Day. Winners receive their prizes.
*APRIL 24th, afternoon*: 4 winners participate in the IIT Research Day.

Please do not hesitate to email me if you need any further information.
*The DEADLINE for confirming your participation is FRIDAY, MARCH 29th (by
email to me), but please email me as early as possible.*

best wishes,
Hemanshu

Hemanshu Kaul
Associate Professor of Applied Mathematics
Illinois Institute of Technology
http://www.math.iit.edu/~kaul/