[ugrads] Fwd: Graduate Research Fellowships

Fred J. Hickernell hickernell at iit.edu
Wed Sep 19 15:36:17 CDT 2012

Dear students who expect to graduate by May 2013,

If you are planning to apply for graduate school in applied mathematics or a related field, and you are a domestic student, please consider applying for an NSF Graduate Fellowship.  Mike McCourt, a 2007 grad received one.  He is a part-time faculty member for us right now.  You may talk to him or any of the faculty in our department about how to apply.

> From: amsdc at ams.org
> Subject: Graduate Research Fellowships
> Date: September 19, 2012 1:10:33 PM CDT
> To: hickernell at iit.edu
>

> MEMO TO: Mathematics Department Chairs & Graduate Directors
>
> SUBJECT: Graduate Research Fellowships
>
> We write to seek your help in encouraging graduate-school-bound seniors and first-year graduate students to apply for National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowships. A higher percentage of applications submitted by students in mathematics will result in a higher number of NSF graduate fellowships allocated to our students in future years.
>
> Applications in the mathematical sciences must be submitted no later than 8:00 pm Eastern Standard time on November 14, 2012.
>
> We ask you to:
>
> Encourage your graduate-school-bound seniors to submit a fellowship application. We suggest holding a workshop or Math Club event where you supply forms, instructions, and advice on writing a statement. Please see the NSF Graduate Research Fellowship Operations Center site for further information and forms.
> Strongly encourage your entering graduate students to submit a fellowship application. Make an NSF application-writing session part of new graduate student orientation or activities at the start of the semester.
> Educate your faculty about the benefit to each student of formulating a career plan and preparing a grant application.
> Give the AMS feedback about this effort and more ideas about how to accomplish this change.
> The NSF offered 2,067 students Graduate Research Fellowships for 2012, with only 80 of these being math students (i.e., students in the mathematical sciences). The number of fellowships awarded to math students can and should be higher; this will be achieved if we can increase the number of applications to the NSF for these fellowships.
>
> Thank you for helping to increase the number of mathematics graduate students receiving NSF Graduate Research Fellowships.
>
> Eric M. Friedlander
> University of Southern California
> AMS President
> David A. Vogan, Jr.
> Massachusetts Institute of Technology
> AMS President-Elect
> Kenneth M. Golden
> University of Utah
> Chair, AMS Committee on Science Policy
>
> The American Mathematical Society, with over 30,000 members, was founded in 1888 to further the interests of mathematical research and scholarship and serves the national and international community through its publications, meetings, advocacy, and other programs.
>
> You may unsubscribe from this mailing list
>
> American Mathematical Society
> 1527 Eighteenth Street, NW Washington, DC 20036
> Phone: 202-588-1100 Fax: 202-588-1853 Email: amsdc at ams.org

Email: hickernell at iit.edu, Web: www.iit.edu/~hickernell
Office Phone: 1 312 567 8983,  Office Fax: 1 312 567 3135