[ugrads] Research and Talks

Hemanshu Kaul kaul at math.iit.edu
Tue Mar 20 12:21:26 CDT 2012

Dear Students and Colleagues,

I hope all of you are having a productive yet relaxing spring break.

I wanted to share with you all a couple of articles that I hope will be
as interesting for you as they have been to me.

First one is a transcript of a talk by Richard Hamming (of the Hamming
code and sphere packing fame) on "You and Your Research". Even though its
long, his conversational style (it was a talk!) makes it an easy read.
Whether or not you agree with all he has to say, it will definitely give
you useful insights into working habits of successful scientists who did
significant work, and hopefully some ideas to incorporate into your own
research philosophy.

http://www.cs.virginia.edu/~robins/YouAndYourResearch.pdf

Second article is the introduction to the "Art of Giving Talks" by Prof.
Matilde Marcolli at Caltech for their graduate seminar class. The first 4
sections give a short review of different types of talks and some basic
advice that is worth the short read, even if you have seen it before. The
highlight of the discussion is in Sections 5-12, that describe various
characters that you could encounter as interlocutors/ critics and
strategies to handle them. I am sure you will find something useful in
there.

http://www.its.caltech.edu/~matilde/Ma10Notes.pdf

Happy reading,
Hemanshu

Hemanshu Kaul
Assistant Professor of Applied Mathematics
Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago
http://www.iit.edu/csl/am/faculty/kaul_hemanshu.shtml