[ugrads] Menger Day and IIT Poster Competitions

Hemanshu Kaul kaul at math.iit.edu
Thu Mar 8 17:34:57 CST 2012

Dear Students,

  As in the past years, an exhibition of posters by students will be an
integral part of this year's Menger Day activities on April 23rd. See
<http://www.iit.edu/csl/am/about/menger/>. This exhibition and competition
has been a success with many positive comments from the alumni, former
faculty, and other visitors to the previous Menger Day celebrations.

  All students, both undergraduate and graduate, are strongly encouraged to
participate in this exhibition and competition. Since the IIT research
comeption is scheduled on April 18th before the Menger Day. The posters
will be judged from 12:40pm-1:50pm on April 16th. They will also be
exhibited at the Menger Day events on the 23rd. The top two posters each
among the undergraduate and the graduate student participants will be
awarded prizes and they will represent the department at the IIT research
day poster competition on April 18th.

  You are eligible to participate if you have conducted ANY research over
the past year. This research could be a part of a REU you attended, any
research you did with professors here at IIT, from your M.S. thesis,
Ph.D. thesis, and even something you did as class project for a
particular course including Math 100 projects. Past winners of the
poster comeptition will be considered for prizes only if the poster
content is substantially different from the previously prize winning
poster. However, they can and should participate in the poster
exhibition with at least the old poster.

  You would prepare a 3ft by 4ft poster that describes this work and its
background. You would also have to verbally explain the context and
details of this research. Don't worry if you have not done this before
or you are not sure how do to do it, you can ask me (or any other
faculty member) for help and advice during the preparation for this
competition. Many students have participated in the competition last
four years, so they would also be a good source of information. I will
send out emails with more information, including poster templates,
printing instructions, etc., to the participating students.

The department will pay for the cost of materials and printing. The
printing can be done at MTCC or at Crown Hall thuoght the IIT printing
services.

Here are the important dates:
MARCH 30th : Deadline for confirmation of participation.
APRIL 10th : Deadline for finishing the poster file.
APRIL 10th to 12th : Printing of the posters.
APRIL 13th, 11am : Deadline for depositing the printed poster at the
department office.
APRIL 16th, 12:40pm : All particiants present their posters at the poster
competition in the department.
APRIL 18th: 4 winners participate in the IIT Research Day.
APRIL 23rd, afternoon: All participants present their posters during
Menger Day. Winners receive their prizes.

Please do not hesitate to email me if you need any further information.
The DEADLINE for confirming your participation is FRIDAY, MARCH 30th (by
email to me), but please email me as early as possible.

best wishes,
Hemanshu

Hemanshu Kaul
Assistant Professor of Applied Mathematics
Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago
http://www.math.iit.edu/faculty/kaul.html