[ugrads] Open Science Data Cloud opportunity

Fred J. Hickernell fred at math.iit.edu
Thu Apr 26 14:09:24 CDT 2012

Dear domestic students,

If your summer plans are not fixed yet, you may want to take a look at the opportunity below from our neighbors at U Chicago.  Although not mentioned explicitly, math students are welcome.

--------

We are entering the era of data driven science and big data.  Moore’s law has not only increased the power and decreased the cost of computers but also of the instruments that produce experimental data.  Scientists in a wide variety of disciplines are producing unprecedented volumes of data that is transforming science.

Although collaborations that collect very large datasets can build their own cyber infrastructure, there is currently a need for cyber infrastructure that can manage, analyze, archive and share medium to large size scientific datasets.  The Open Science Data Cloud (OSDC) was developed to fill this gap.

With support from the NSF PIRE Program (NSF Award 1129076), The Open Science Data Cloud (OSDC) Partnerships for International         Research and Education (PIRE) will support undergraduate and graduate students, post docs and also even early career faculty for six to eight week fully funded internships and fellowships during the summer to learn about big data and data intensive computing and to work with one of our OSDC partners in the United Kingdom, Japan, China, Brazil or Korea.  The program is open to all US citizens or residents.

If you are interested in traveling worldwide to teach our international collaborators about the OSDC, please visit the OSDC web site at www.opensciencedatacloud.org

Or email info at opencloudconsortium.org, or call Cindy at 773-702-9765.