[ugrads] Fwd: IIT Applied Mathematics | Sixth Annual IIT Karl Menger Lecture and Award | Remembering Karl Menger

Fred J. Hickernell fred at math.iit.edu
Tue Apr 17 22:35:21 CDT 2012

Dear colleagues and students,

Next Monday and Tuesday is an exciting time for our department as we host the Menger Lecture.  This year's lecture is at

3:15 pm, Monday, April 23 in the MTCC ballroom.

As in previous years we have a full afternoon of activities, starting with a Math Club pizza lunch and talk at 12:45 and ending with a panel discussion on future directions for applied mathematics.   There is more on Tuesday, April 24.

Please check out the details below and on the Menger website, and please RSVP so that we can better prepare.

See you next Monday!

Email not displaying correctly? View it in your browser. | Unsubscribe

You're Invited!
Sixth Annual IIT Karl Menger Lecture and Award
The IIT Department of Applied Mathematics' annual Karl Menger Lecture series is a wonderful opportunity for IIT alumni and friends to gather together and hear from leading experts in the mathematics field.

The sixth annual Menger Lecture will be held on April 23. We encourage you to make this lecture series your own personal IIT tradition.

Sixth Annual Karl Menger Lecture
One and a quarter centuries of nonlinear dynamics: More is different and less is more
Professor Philip Holmes, Princeton University
Monday, April 23, 2012, 3:15 p.m.
The McCormick Tribune Campus Center Auditorium
IIT Main Campus, Chicago

We have a full afternoon of activities on April 23 beginning at 12:45 p.m.

RSVP online: alumni.iit.edu/menger2012

For the latest information about this lecture, visit www.iit.edu/csl/am/about/menger.

About Philip Holmes
Philip Holmes is Eugene Higgins Professor of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering, Professor of Applied and Computational Mathematics and a member of Princeton's Neuroscience Institute. He currently works on the neuromechanics of animal locomotion, and on the neurodynamics of decision making.

IIT Karl Menger Lecture Abstract
In 1889, for his paper on Hamiltonian dynamics and the three-body problem of celestial mechanics, Henri Poincare was awarded a prize established to honor the 60th birthday of King Oscar II of Sweden and Norway. As the paper was being edited for publication in Acta Mathematica, a serious error came to light. In correcting the error, Poincare discovered the phenomenon that we now call deterministic chaos. The resulting 270-page paper is essentially the first textbook in the modern geometrical theory of dynamical systems. Holmes will tell the story of this paper, some of the key contributions to which it led (Smale's horseshoe, Kolmogorov-Arnold-Moser theory, center manifolds and bifurcations), and end by describing some applications of dynamical systems theory in fluid, solid and celestial mechanics.