[ugrads] [Mathclub-members] this Wednesday, Oct 5

Michael Pelsmajer pelsmajer at iit.edu
Mon Oct 3 09:52:54 CDT 2011

Hi.  This is something you will definitely want to attend if you can.  Anita
just spoke at the UIC conference, and this is your chance to see her talk
about her work.  Also, if you are maybe interested in doing something like
this someday yourself...

Undergraduate Research Talk and Information Session
Wednesday, October 5
4:40pm in Life Science room 152

*Anita Thomas* (undergraduate math major and math club VP)

"Sampling Within k-Means Algorithm to Cluster Large Datasets"

Abstract:

Due to current data collection technology, our ability to gather data has
surpassed our ability to analyze it. In particular, k-means, one of the
simplest and fastest clustering algorithms, is ill-equipped to handle
extremely large datasets on even the most powerful machines. Our new
algorithm implements sampling within k-means to reduce the amount of data
analyzed, thus decreasing run-time. We perform a simulation study to compare
our sampling based k-means to the standard k-means algorithm by analyzing
both speed and accuracy. Results show that our algorithm is significantly
more efficient than the existing algorithm with comparable accuracy.

This research was completed as part of the REU Site Interdisciplinary
Program inHigh Performance Computing at the University of Maryland,
Baltimore County.

Talk will be followed by question & answer session about research
opportunities for undergraduates.

Refreshments will be served in E1 112.  All are welcome to attend.

http://www.iit.edu/csl/am/colloquia/abstracts/fall11_thomas_anita.shtml

For a complete and updated listing of the department's seminars, please
visit the seminar webpage: http://www.iit.edu/csl/am/colloquia/.