[ugrads] [Mathclub-members] Fwd: Item of interest

Anthony Ruth aruth at hawk.iit.edu
Thu Nov 17 14:31:20 CST 2011

The question of whether it is better to attack or defend in risk I have
considered many times and I wrote a program to find the answer. Normally
the attacker can use at most 3 dice and the defender at most two. The die
are matched highest to highest and if there is a tie the defender wins. I
was always told that the defender had the advantage. The attached program,
written in C, uses the rules for determining who wins a roll and goes
through every single possible dice roll to determine the attacker's and
defender's win probability. It does this for every combination from 1
attacker dice and 1 defender dice to 4 attacker dice and 3 defender dice. I
have attached both the output it produced and the program itself. It's not
commented but if you are familiar with C, you should be able to understand
how it works. For 3 attacker dice and 2 defender dice you are better off
being the attacker with a ratio of 1.17:1