[ugrads] Xingye Kan's comprehensive exam

Xingye Kan xkan at iit.edu
Tue Apr 5 20:28:38 CDT 2011

Hi Everyone,

I will have my comprehensive exam tomorrow morning at 10am, in E1-129.
Everyone is welcome to join.

The following is the title and abstract of my talk.

Title: Random Snake Modeling for the Dynamics of Angiogenesis

Abstract: Angiogenesis, the growth of new blood vessels from pre-existing
blood vessels, is an important natural process taking place in wound
healing, tumor growth and cardiovascular disease, etc. The sequential
morphogenetic processes required for angiogenesis to occur are well known
but how cellular and molecular mechanisms are coordinated to control these
processes is still not understood completely. In this talk, I use the
mathematical framework of Brownian snake to model the blood vessel growth
and simulated the phenomenon of migration, branching formation as well as
anastomosis in angiogenesis. In addition, I developed a new model based on
the theory of modified Brownian snake to simulate the blood vessel growth in
environment containing extracellular matrix. Finally, I discuss several new
stochastic processes that are specific for angiogenesis modeling.

--
Best wishes,
Xingye Kan