[ugrads] Today's talk by Mead Killion

Fred J. Hickernell hickernell at iit.edu
Wed Nov 10 19:18:34 CST 2010

Dear all,

Thanks to many of you (about 40+ I would guess) who came to the talk by Mead Killion this afternoon.  Thanks so much to the Math Club and SIAM Chapter for your support.  Thanks to Joe for coordinating it all.

i invited Mead to speak to us for several reasons:  he is fond of our department, he has done well in his career, he believes that his mathematics education was a big benefit to his career, he cares about students, and we should continue to be engaged with our alums.

For those who attended, I would be interested in hearing your feedback.  What did you think of the talk?  Do you think that we should continue inviting alumni (and perhaps friends) from industry, both recent and from years ago, to talk to our students and faculty?  If so, what would be the important ingredients, and are there any ways that we might improve the experience?

Thanks for your feedback,