[ugrads] Department Poster Competition: Update

Hemanshu Kaul kaul at math.iit.edu
Mon Mar 22 14:00:03 CDT 2010

Dear Students,

This email is for those of you participating or considering to participate in
the poster competition. If you haven't sent me an email confirming your
participation, please do so right away.

Joe Millham in the department office will help you with the printing of
the poster. The DEADLINE for submitting the ready-to-print poster to Joe
is 10AM, MONDAY, APRIL 5TH (earlier than that would be preferable). It
always tricky to print such large files, so its important that Joe have
atleast 2-3 days to do the printing for all of you. Also send him your
telephone number (preferably cell) so that he can contact you if there is
any trouble with the printing.

Do not wait for the last few days to ask for help. Start working on your
poster now.

Either Powerpoint or Latex can be used to make the posters. You can talk
to the students who participated in the poster competition last year (e.g.
Ben Niu, Hannah Kolb) about what software they used and how they used it.
They might be willing to share their templates also. If you don't have
anybody to contact, please ask me for contacts.

Here are some useful websites related to preparing posters (if any of you
know of other useful sites please let me know) -

http://www.ncsu.edu/project/posters/NewSite/ gives lots of good advice
about making an effective poster, including some examples. Please stop by
the tea-room in 112, E1 to see posters from last year's competition.

http://www.swarthmore.edu/NatSci/cpurrin1/posteradvice.htm
also has advice (not just for posters but also the oral presentation of
posters) and posters templates.

http://www.posterpresentations.com/html/free_poster_templates.html
gives lots of powerpoint templates that you can download and use to write
your own poster.

http://nxg.me.uk/docs/posters/
http://www.brian-amberg.de/uni/poster/
http://csip.ece.gatech.edu/Information/LaTeX_Templates/index.shtml
give a description (including templates) for use with LaTex. This is only for
experienced LaTex users.

Finally, here's areminder of the important dates -

Before 10am, 4/5, Monday: Submission of poster to Joe Millham (see email
id above) for printing

12:45pm-1:45pm, 4/7, Wednesday: Judging of the posters to select
representatives to IIT research day.

Afternoon, 4/14, Wednesday: IIT research day poster competition.

Afternoon, 4/19, Monday: Menger Day exhibition of all the posters and
award ceremony.

best wishes,
Hemanshu