[ugrads] REU: multidisciplinary undergraduate research at GMU

Jinqiao Duan duan at iit.edu
Mon Mar 2 09:43:50 CST 2009

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Thomas Wanner <twanner at gmu.edu>
Date: Mon, Mar 2, 2009 at 9:35 AM
Subject: Fwd: REU Advertisement
To: duan at iit.edu

Dear Duan,

We will have an REU this summer at GMU, please see the info below. If you or
your
colleagues have any undergraduates that might be interested, please let them
know.

Thanks,
Tom

 The Department of Mathematical Sciences at George Mason University will
> host a multidisciplinary undergraduate research program in computational
> mathematics and nonlinear dynamics of biological, bio-inspired and
> engineering systems.  This nine-week program program will expose eight
> qualified mathematics undergraduate students and a K-12 teacher to advanced
> topics in mathematics, problem-solving techniques and multidisciplinary
> applications. Selected problems range from Reconstruction of Protein
> networks and Aneurysm mechanics to Modeling of Micro Air Vehicles, Neuronal
> field models, Porous substrates and Materials engineering applications. The
> overall goal of this program is to encourage students and teachers to learn
> by discovery and enhance their understanding of the multidisciplinary role
> of mathematics in engineering, science and medicine. The metro region of
> Washington, DC is a particularly fertile area for research and work
> opportunities, including consulting, teaching
> and government.
>
> Applicants must be undergraduate students who will be completing their
> junior year by June 2009. Financial support for students include a stipend
> of $3,375, free on-campus housing and meals, and a travel allowance up to
> $550. Students with a strong background in advanced calculus, linear algebra
> and differential equations are eligible to apply. Women and underrepresented
> minorities are particularly encouraged to apply. Please note that under NSF
> rules, only U.S. Citizens and permanent residents are eligible to receive
> stipends and support for housing and travel costs.
>
> The deadline for receiving all the application material is *April 10, 2009*
> and accepted applicants will be notified immediately. For more details on
> the program and application details, go to the program website:
>
> http://math.gmu.edu/reu/
>
> For additional information, please contact us via email at:
>
> reu at math.gmu.edu
>
> or via phone
>
> Dr. Padmanabhan Seshaiyer (703) 993-9787 and Dr. Maria Emelianenko (703)
> 993-9688

Thomas Wanner                                   Office:     S&T I, Room 205
Department of Mathematical Sciences             Phone:    +1 (703) 993-1472
George Mason University                         Fax:      +1 (703) 993-1491
4400 University Drive, MS 3F2                   e-mail:     twanner at gmu.edu
Fairfax, VA 22030, USA
http://math.gmu.edu/~wanner<http://math.gmu.edu/%7Ewanner>

Professor Jinqiao Duan