[ugrads] Department Poster Competition

Hemanshu Kaul kaul at math.iit.edu
Thu Apr 2 12:43:01 CDT 2009

Dear Students,

This email is for those of you participating or considering to participate
in the poster competition. If you haven't sent me an email confirming your
participation, please do so right away.

Joe Millham in the department office will help you with the printing of
the poster. The DEADLINE for submitting the ready-to-print poster to Joe
is 4PM, WEDNESDAY, APRIL 15TH. It always tricky to print such large files,
so its important that Joe have atleast 2-3 days to do the printing for all
of you. Also send him your telephone number (preferably cell) so that he
can contact you if there is any trouble with the printing.

Do not wait for the last few days to ask for help. Start working on your
poster now.

Either Powerpoint or Latex can be used to make the posters. You can talk
to the students who participated in the poster competition last year about
what software they used and how they used it. They might be willing to
share their templates also. If you don't have anybody to contact, please
ask me for contacts.

Here are some useful websites related to preparing posters (if any of you
know of other useful sites please let me know) -

http://www.ncsu.edu/project/posters/NewSite/
gives lots of good advice about making an effective poster, including some
examples. Please stop by my office or the tea-room in 112, E1 to see
posters from last year's competition.

http://miu.med.unsw.edu.au/downloads.htm
gives lots of powerpoint templates that you can download and use to write your
own poster.

http://nxg.me.uk/docs/posters/
http://www.brian-amberg.de/uni/poster/
http://csip.ece.gatech.edu/Information/LaTeX_Templates/index.shtml
give a description (including templates) for use with LaTex. This is only
for experienced LaTex users.

best wishes,
Hemanshu