[ugrads] [Mathclub-members] quick question: Putnam

Michael Pelsmajer pelsmajer at iit.edu
Fri Oct 10 13:23:56 CDT 2008

Some people asked for clarification:

The Putnam exam is open to any student who (1) has taken the Putnam
less than four times, and (2) has not graduated from a 4-year college
yet.

It is the most famous mathematics contest in the United States.  The
problems are lovely and difficult.  You don't need much background
knowledge for most of the problems, and if you can solve just a few
correctly, you will surely be nationally ranked.

--
Michael J. Pelsmajer             http://www.iit.edu/~pelsmaje
Applied Mathematics, E1 Room 206       pelsmajer at iit.edu
Illinois Institute of Technology         (312)567-5344