[ugrads] MAA Newsletter -- November 2008

Hemanshu Kaul kaul at math.iit.edu
Tue Nov 11 15:22:26 CST 2008

Hello all,

The MAA newsletter for Nov. 2008 is online now at
http://www.maa.org/liaisons/liaison-news-nov2008.html

Here are some of the major items therein-

Technically Speaking Resource Available Now: We are pleased to announce
the launch of "Technically Speaking", a website featuring a series of
video vignettes aimed at helping students improve their oral
communication skills.

HOM SIGMAA Writing Contest: The MAA Special Interest Group on the History
of Mathematics is pleased to announce its sixth annual Student Writing
Contest, open to all undergraduate students

Math Club and Student Chapter Advisors: We want to steal your ideas!: We
are seeking field-tested resources from faculty MAA members to assist
student chapter advisors and others who want to engage students in
mathematics-related activities.

November 14 is Reservation Deadline for JMM Housing: We hope that you
plan to attend the 2009 Joint Math Meetings (and the MAA Department
Liaisons Meeting at 9:30 on Monday morning, January 5, at the Marriot
Marshall Ballrooms South/West).

JMM 2008 Undergraduate Student Poster Session Judges Needed: We need more
than 150 judges for this event. If you or some of your colleagues are
planning to attend the 2009 Joint Meetings and are willing to help,
please register.

The Strategic Planning Working Group on Sections Needs Your Help!: The
MAA's Strategic Planning Working Group on Sections (SPWGS) is
investigating the role of sections in the MAA and the relationship
between sections and the parent organization.

Great Papers, Anyone?: The MAA Journal Writing Awards site contains pdf
copies of the articles that have won MAA journal writing awards over the
years together with short biographical sketches of the authors.

thanks,
Hemanshu