[ugrads] Elective Courses in Spring 2009

Hemanshu Kaul kaul at math.iit.edu
Thu Nov 6 19:35:45 CST 2008

Dear Students,

I wanted to bring your attention to an elective course in number theory
that is being offered in Spring 2009. This course is offered once every
two years, and was offered for the first time in Spring 2007. You can find
the official syllabus at
<http://www.iit.edu/csl/am/programs/pdf/Syllabus_Math_410.pdf>.

Starting with minmal prerquisites, this course builds upto the famous
classical result of Gauss in quadratic reciprocity that answers the
fundamental question of when does a quadratic equation have a integer
solution (modulo prime). Along the way, we will explore many other
fundamental properties of integers. Finally we will apply our knowledge to
the study of cryptosystems.

Also, the students who have/ are taking courses in Linear Algebra, Graph
Theory, and Probabilty, might be interested in a graduate level course in
Discrete Math that I am offering next semester. Only the students with
strong performance in these courses will be permitted to take this course.
Please contact me if you any questions/ need more information.

Here is a description of the course:

----------
Math 554: Discrete Applied Mathematics II

Instructor: Hemanshu Kaul, http://www.math.iit.edu/~kaul

This graduate-level course in Discrete Mathematics will introduce students
in Applied Mathematics, Computer science, and Engineering, to the use of
tools and techniques from various fields of mathematics like Probability,
Linear Algebra, and Geometry, to existential and algorithmic problems
arising in Graph Theory, Combinatorics, and Computer science. The tools
considered would include Probabilistic Method, Entropy, Vector Space
method, Combinatorial Nullstellensatz, Martingales and large deviation
bounds, Markov Chain Monte Carlo, etc.

The only prerequisites would be standard undergraduate courses in
Probability, in Elementary Linear Algebra, and in Graph Theory or
Combinatorics. Undergarduate students with strong performance in these
courses will be admitted with the consent of the instructor.

Course grade will be based on 8-10 homeworks, a mid-term and a final exam,
and a reading project with presentation.

I apologize for any multiple mailings.

thanks,
Hemanshu