[ugrads] Reading Seminar, this Tuesday 9/2, 4:40pm

Hemanshu Kaul kaul at math.iit.edu
Sun Aug 31 21:11:05 CDT 2008

Hello all,

We have been running a reading seminar for the past couple of
years, where we have studied topics in graph minors and
discrete geometry, with a small group including students and faculty
from IIT, DePaul, and UIC.  This semester we will work our way through

  Problems and Theorems in Classical Set Theory (Problem Books in Mathematics)
  by Péter Komjáth and Vilmos Totik

and we invite IIT students to consider participating.

This book covers introductory topics and classical results in Set Theory
from 1920-1970s through carefully selected sequences of problems in set
theory as well its intersection with Algebra, Combinatorics, Geometry,
Topology, and Real Analysis.

Q: What will the meetings be like?

A: This is not an additional class.  This is an opportunity to work on
some fundamental mathematics in the company of other people who are
interested in doing likewise.  We'll try to understand the material by
solving problems together---less of a reading seminar but a real
interactive seminar. As the introduction to the book says "most problems
are challenging and require work, wit, and inspiration.", so the most
important requirements are enthusiasm and patience.

Q: What is the material like?  How hard is it?

A: The first two chapters are attached as a pdf file..  Each item states
something that we will prove, together.  Item #1 is the Principle of
Inclusion-Exclusion, which you may have seen before.  Going to the Amazon
page http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/038730293X/ allows you to preview
most of the book. (You do not need to buy the book.)

This semester we'll meet Tuesdays at 4:40 or 5:40 (depending on
whether there is a regular DAM seminar at 4:40).

We begin this Tuesday (9/2) at 4:40 at IIT, E1 room 034.

hope to see you at the seminar,
Hemanshu
(with M. Pelsmajer and M. Schaefer)

Hemanshu Kaul
Assistant Professor of Applied Mathematics
Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago
http://www.iit.edu/csl/am/faculty/kaul_hemanshu.shtml