[ugrads] [Mathclub-members] this weekend: another conference

Michael Pelsmajer pelsmajer at iit.edu
Wed Oct 3 17:31:17 CDT 2007

For those of you not going to Illiana Undergraduate Mathematics
Conference, there's a math conference downtown.
http://www.ams.org/amsmtgs/2153_program.html  I know that at least a
couple people are interested in attending.

It's a research conference, so the talks are generally not intended for
undergraduates.  Thus I wanted to recommend a few talks which seemed to
have a better-than-average chance of being understandable.  However, you
should look at the main program - you can go to any talk that seems
interesting.  These seem like good bets to me:

Friday 11am, Invited talk
http://www.ams.org/amsmtgs/2153_program_friday.html#2153:GOLUBITSKY
(his work overlaps with Ian Stewart, who writes very well and does nice
stuff)

>From my graph theory session
http://www.ams.org/amsmtgs/2153_program_ss20.html#title
http://www.iit.edu/~pelsmaje/AMS-Oct2007.html :

Friday 10:30am Zsuzsanna Szaniszlo, Valparaiso University
  (has been involved w/undergrad research, maybe good to meet her)
Friday 2:30pm Douglas B. West, University of Illinois - Urbana
  (kind of famous: wrote the graph theory book we use at IIT)
Saturday 9:00am Michael O. Albertson, Smith College
Saturday 9:30am Marcus Schaefer, DePaul University
  (I work w/him, he visits IIT a lot)
Saturday 10:30am Andre Kundgen, Cal State San Marcos
Saturday 3:30pm or 4:30pm? Josh Cooper, University of South Carolina

Don't worry about not understanding, or even being totally lost.  As
they said at my grad school, "Remember, only the speaker understands it
all!"

Michael J. Pelsmajer                    www.iit.edu/~pelsmaje
Applied Mathematics, E1 Room 206          pelsmajer at iit.edu
Illinois Institute of Technology            (312)567-5344