[ugrads] (no subject)

Fred J. Hickernell fred at math.iit.edu
Wed Feb 21 22:03:13 CST 2007

Dear colleagues,

As you know, Karl Menger was an outstanding mathematician on the
faculty of IIT for many years.  His family donated money to establish
a lecture series in his honor.  On April 9-11, our department will
host the inaugural Remembering Menger event.  Please check the website

http://math.iit.edu/events/menger2007.html

for details.

o The main event will be on Monday, April 9, featuring the Karl
Menger Memorial Lecture by Karl Sigmund.  Afterward we will present
the Karl Menger Award for exceptional scholarship by a student.

o Karl Sigmund will also meet the Math Club for lunch and later give
a talk on Wednesday afternoon aimed at graduate students.

I hope to see you at the talks by Karl Sigmund.