[ugrads] Remebering Karl Menger

Fred J. Hickernell fred at math.iit.edu
Thu Apr 5 10:24:30 CDT 2007

Dear AM students and colleagues,

As you should know, Karl Menger was an outstanding mathematician on
the faculty of IIT for many years.  His family donated money to
establish a lecture series in his honor.  On April 9-11, our
department will host the inaugural Remembering Menger event.  Please
check the website

http://math.iit.edu/events/menger2007.html

for details.

o The main activities will be on Monday, April 9.  At 4:30 pm in
Wishnick Auditorium the Karl Menger Memorial Lecture will be given by
Karl Sigmund.  Prof. Sigmund's public lecture is titled

"Menger, Games, and Morals"

o After the lecture, we will present the Karl Menger Award for
exceptional scholarship by a student.

o Preceding the lecture there will be a reception with refreshments
in Wishnick Hall, Room 119.  We expect a number of alumni and friends
of the department to join us.  This is a unique opportunity to
connect with them.

o Karl Sigmund will also meet the Math Club for lunch on Wednesday,
April 11, on the topic

"The Rock Paper Scissors Game for Adult Players"

o Later on Wednesday afternoon, Karl Sigmund will give a talk aimed
at graduate students and undergraduate students interested in careers
as mathematicians on the topic:

"How to Have a Successful Career as a Mathematician".

Please take advantage of these opportunities to remember Karl
Menger's legacy and meet and hear Prof. Sigmund together with old and
new friends of the Department of Applied Mathematics.