[ugrads] teaching scholarships, and sign-up for math contest

Michael J. Pelsmajer pelsmajer at iit.edu
Wed Oct 4 14:57:05 CDT 2006

First things last:

It's time to sign up for the Putnam Math Competition!

It will be December 2 (a Saturday), held at IIT.
You are eligible to participate if:
  You are a regularly enrolled undergraduate at IIT, and
  You have not received a college degree already, and
  You have not participated in the Putnam more than three times already.

If you do not sign up, you cannot participate.  (If you do sign up, you
are not penalized for not showing up, or for leaving early.)

Send me an email _now_ if you would like to sign up.

More information on the Putnam here: http://math.scu.edu/putnam/
More and more here: http://www.unl.edu/amc/a-activities/a7-problems/putnam/
Ask me if you have any questions.

Next:

Scholarship opportunity for undergrads!

Prof. Norm & Judith Lederman from MSED spoke today at the Math Club
meeting about two scholarship opportunities.  I'll summarize the
information here, in case you missed all or part of the meeting.  One is
$9000 and is for freshman or sophomores (or anyone who has two more
years to go at IIT), the other is $5000.  Both have you take some
courses in the Math & Science Education department and become certified
to teach high school (not simply a minor in MSED), and require you to
teach for a bit: 4 years in any Illinois public school for the first,
and 2 years in CPS for the second.  I'm leaving out many important
details.  The main thing is:

--You should know that this is a really good program.
--You can find out more without any obligation.  I might be able to
answer some questions --- or just contact Dr. Judith Lederman directly
(she said it's okay to call her about this).
http://www.iit.edu/departments/msed/faculty.html

Thanks, and don't forget to write me if you're interested in the Putnam!

Michael J. Pelsmajer                    www.iit.edu/~pelsmaje
Applied Mathematics, E1 Room 206          pelsmajer at iit.edu
Illinois Institute of Technology            (312)567-5344