[ugrads] important updates about Summer Math

Michael J. Pelsmajer pelsmajer at iit.edu
Wed Feb 8 14:53:44 CST 2006

Apparently I forgot to mention a couple important things:

You get MONEY.  You get a few thousand dollars typically as a stipend,
which offsets not having a summer job for those 8-10 weeks (and then
some).

INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS _can_ apply, if they happen to have their own
means of support (money).  You must ask about (suggest) this possibility
to the programs that interest you.  Also, there are a few programs that
provide support to international students (meaning not US citizens or
permanent residents.

If you are already maybe interested in GRADUATE SCHOOL, then you ought
to apply.  This is a chance to sample what grad school is like, before
diving in completely.

There are special programs for WOMEN AND MINORITIES, so if you're
eligible, you should also look for these.  Also you should mention your
status when applying to any program, since they can be rather
competitive and everything helps.

More information is here: http://www.iit.edu/~pelsmaje/#SUMMER including
links to many programs.  Start with NSF or AMS directories.

That's all I have for now, but if you are UNSURE about something or have
QUESTIONS, ask me!  (Don't miss a great opportunity just because you
neglected to ask your questions.)

Michael Pelsmajer