[Sem-coll] Colloquium talk tomorrow

Shuwang Li sli at math.iit.edu
Sun Nov 21 10:31:03 CST 2010

Hi everyone,

Please join the Applied Math department for the following Seminars and
Colloquia.  All are welcome to attend, and refreshments will be served
at some events.  For a complete and updated listing of the
department's seminars, please visit the seminar webpage:
http://www.iit.edu/csl/am/colloquia/

Department Colloquium
Monday, Nov.22   E1 106 4:40 pm
Qi Wang, University of South Carolina
see below for the title and abstract of the talk

SHuwang

------------------------------------
Kinetic theories for multiphase complex fluids with applications to
biological materials

Qi Wang
Department of Mathematics and NanoCenter at USC
University of South Carolina
Kinetic theories have long been used in simple and complex fluids to
formulation theories to describe the dynamics of the materials. They have
been shown to be extremely successful in describing the mesoscopic
structures and dynamics in polymeric materials. For instance, the
Navier-Stokes equation is derived from the kinetic theory called Boltzmann
equation. Kinetic theory applied to multiphase materials is tedious and
can be intractable to general practitioners at times. However, by sticking
to a few selected physical principles while approximating the others, much
simplified kinetic theories can be developed. In this talk, I will talk
about the development of kinetic theories for multiphase complex fluids. I
will illustrate the point using two examples in immiscible binary fluids
and biological fluids.